So, there's another one of those challenges going around like a wildfire on social networks. However, this one was something that I was hoping I would get tagged in: to name ten books that have affected you and stayed with you somehow. When I did start making my list, I just chose the first ten books that popped in my head and tried not to overthink and overanalyze.
Here is the list:
Here is the list:
- The wise man's fear -Patrick Rothfuss: Rich in detail, engaging, and tantalizing. The second book from the Kingkiller Chronicles. I was amazed by how much he covered in one book, and also by the enormity of subject matter he needs to address in the final book.
- The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials trilogy) -Philip Pullman: A brilliant series meant for young adults. A beautiful blend of science and fantasy and the multi-world theory. Also, I'm a sucker for romance.
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince -J. K. Rowling: I love this and I hate this. Snape and Dumbledore. I liked how Harry got one last amazing year at Hogwarts and actually behave his age before he had to grow up.
- The murder of Roger Ackroyd -Agatha Christie: The ultimate narrator's quandary. Enough said.
- The Faraway Tree -Enid Blyton: My love for fantasy probably started here.
- Computer Networks -Andrew Tannenbaum: I never knew a textbook could be this friendly and readable and witty.
- The Zoya Factor -Anuja Chauhan: Wicked, witty and a contemporary commentary on India's youth. Some of the most unforgettable lines and references. Also, I'm a sucker for romance.
- The most human Human -Brian Christian: The latest book I've read. A very interesting subject about the human participants of the Turing Test. Makes you question the purpose of human beings in a very different context.
- The Princess -Jean Sasson: The horrific accounts in this book have given me too many sleepless nights to count.
- Jaya -Devdutt Pattanaik: A quirky retelling of the Mahabharata. I loved the way it has been laid out, how the illustrations are tying the story in completely and how various versions and rational explanations have been provided.